By far, the most requested outcome I receive from those I work with is “I want more confidence.”
As with most mental toughness attributes like focus, courage, determination, etc. far too many people are completely unaware that building confidence can be a systematic process not much different than how a golf instructor teaches a beginner how to swing a club.
Or, a volleyball coach teaches players how to serve.
Or a basketball instructor teaches a proper jump shot…
The term “building confidence” is quite accurate as you want to start with a strong foundation, put up a mental frame, and then you can weatherproof it, just like a real building.
It can all be broken down to fundamental steps just like building confidence.
- You give the student a basic understanding of what it is and what makes it happen so they feel like they can do it with your help.
- You give the student some drills to practice to ingrain parts of the whole.
- You test the whole and the coach gives corrective feedback on attempts to use the skill.
- Make any adjustments to drills and practice.
- Rinse and repeat steps 2-4.
See if you can identify this simple process in this episode’s podcast on Confidence building.